Burlington Wildways was established by a 2017 Burlington City Council resolution (Res 4.05). Originally called Burlington Open and Natural Lands Conservation & Connection Initiative and renamed in 2018, the organization seeks to increase the effectiveness of conservation collaborations already underway among multiple stakeholders in Burlington—we are working together to successfully protect, connect and make accessible the quarter of the city’s land that is in natural areas.
We are a partnership between Burlington Parks, Recreation and Waterfront, Winooski Valley Park District, Rock Point, Burlington Conservation Board, Burlington City Council, and the Intervale Center. We have non-profit status with Winooski Valley Park District acting as our fiscal agent.
- Burlington Parks, Recreation & Waterfront
- Winooski Valley Park District
- Intervale Center
- Rock Point
When we have succeeded, Burlington Wildways will have:
- Achieved robust conservation and connection of Burlington’s wild and natural areas through a shared sense of purpose and harmonious management among our many landowners and partner organizations.
- Created an extensive, well-marked, and ecologically sensitive trail network that connects the city’s wild lands—while reducing and eliminating redundant, poorly designed and inappropriate trails in other areas.
- Expanded the ranks of people who enjoy and care for our wild areas and inspired a love of nature in a wide diversity of our citizens and visitors.
- Demonstrated the value and beauty of our natural and wild areas to all Burlington’s citizens, leaders, and to those who visit our city, such that there is overwhelming support for protecting them into future generations.
- Secured vigorous and informed protection for the rare plants, local and transient wildlife, and diverse ecosystems in our open and natural lands.
- Promoted and enhanced the ecological, cultural and economic values of wildness and wild places within our city—such as flood control, cool forest walkway, carbon sequestration, and nature appreciation.